Thursday, April 2, 2009

RAIN!!

Rain!

I love the rain. I love the fact that it rejuvenates the land around us. It washes away the dust and pollen and allergens that are so irritating (or so the allergist says). It makes the flowers and grass grow and it usually smells so good after the rain finishes.

I love to hear the rain on the roof and even on the skylights we have in the kitchen and the den. Yeah, sometimes it is a little loud when I am trying to watch TV and the rain is beating against the skylights, but most of the time it is a pleasant sound. It makes me thankful to have a roof over my head and warm place to stay dry. It makes me thankful that God cares so much about the land that He provides the nourishment it needs when it needs it. I know that if He will take care of the land, He will provide for my every need too!

I especially love to listen to the rain when I can lie down and take a nap! It is a family tradition, or perhaps it is a genetic thing, that we nap when rain falls from the sky. Someone asked me once if I could sleep when it rained (strangely they could not) and I said, “Oh yes! I can sleep in the rain!” My husband, who was across the room tending to something else, and who should NOT have been eavesdropping much less commenting on our conversation, butted into the exchange and so sweetly said, “Yeah, and you can sleep in the middle of thunderstorms, and when it is dark and when it is light and if the sun is shining and if it is cloudy….” So, apparently, the rain has nothing to do with it!

Well, anyway I love the rain. Normally. However…

All it has done for the last eight days is rain. Rain! We either wake up to it or go to bed to it or both. I was picking up my daughter from her babysitter and at the top of the hill behind her house, I watched a huge tree fall over today for no apparent reason…all we could figure was that the ground was so wet (and it was a bit “blowy” according to Caroline) that the tree just fell over. That might be a negative side effect of rain.

No recess for the kids at school is another negative side effect. No time to play outside for my own children is yet another negative side effect. The headaches that tend to come my way could be another one…but that could also be from stress. I will reserve judgment on that for now.

I am ready for the rain to stop. I want, no I NEED, to see the sunshine. I need to feel the sun. I need to sit and soak up the sun. Which is why I can’t wait til this time next week. I am going to see my parents and sisters at the beach! Whoo-hoo! I am going to feel, sit and soak up the sun. I can hardly wait!

So, let's recap...this what I have seen of late:

And THIS is what I want to see:


Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment