Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Marvelous Light

I am not oblivious to the things going on around me. I see the world in turmoil and I hear the horrible things on the news. I see the townhall meetings, the approval vs. disapproval ratings, the debates and the debacles of our "new normal" here in the United States. I see the attacks on innocent people and want to kick and scream...but I don't really get involved. I see, but I don't really absorb it all...I don't really want to.

I just want to grab my loved ones and crawl under the biggest rock, cover my ears from the shouting and yelling and basic crumbling of our society and stay there. I have been like a kid who doesn't want to listen, sticking their fingers in their ears and singing, "La-la-lalala....". Very mature, I know.

But God has way of pulling, errr, well, yanking those fingers out of my ears. I read these next versus in 1 Peter 2 yesterday and have been trying to shake them, but I can't seem to get them off my mind. God is like that. He's unshakeable.

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of the darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now have received mercy."

Let me be clear here: I know the chosen people of God is the nation of Israel and I believe that. I read this yesterday with just those thoughts running through my mind. This is a great set of verses, but they don't apply to me. Very gently, I feel this tap on my shoulder..."uhmmm, Paige" (do you think God says, "uhmmm"---probably not since uhmmm usually comes when you don't know what to say and He always know...everything...I digress)...."Uhmmm (for my own effect) Paige, this has everything to do with you."

I stopped and reread the passage. "But Lord, I am not part of the nation of Israel."

"But you are part of my chosen people. You are mine and that makes you a people of God."

I just stopped (I think I stopped breathing for a second too)...if this is about me, then this passage is all the more spectacular. I begin to see the United States...who I know is not the nation of Israel, but God has blessed us in the past. He has kept his comforting and protective hand on us for years. And seems that maybe that hand is lifting, or has already lifted. And THIS is where I want my rock....to crawl under and wave away those thoughts from my mind.

I want a rock to HIDE me from the world, when THE Rock is asking me to SHOW Him to the world. "...so that you may proclaim the excellences of Him who has called you out of darkness (my rock I am trying to hide under) into His marvelous light."


We may not live in a country that is doing much lately, in the public's eye anyway, to bring Him glory or honor or praise, but that should not stop us from doing just that. I don't know what your story is or what He has done in your life up to this point. It is not important that I know the details. What is important is this: Are you proclaiming His excellence? Are you telling others how He saved you from your darkness? Are you living in that marvelous light?

God Bless You.
Paige

1 comment:

  1. We are called the children of Abraham, so you're right as He told you - we are His chosen people. We are in that same lineage - not from blood, but from adoption into the Kingdom. Beautiful, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete