Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Old Faithful

Faithful.

What do you think about when you think of faithful?

Maybe unfaithful is easier for you to define?

Faithful is defined as: "true to one's word, promises, vows, etc." I know it is hard to find much in life lately that is faithful. My retirement accounts haven't been faithful to their projected gains. My state was not faithful to my contract...taking 3 days' worth of pay and calling it a "furlough". My "procedure" this summer was not faithful to the end result, which means I have to go through more testing and more procedures.


None of this surprises me though and that shocks me. Faithful is not something that I should expect to let me down. Faithful is not something light or wishy-washy. I don't want people to shrug their shoulders when they look at me and say, "Oh well, she wasn't faithful to what she said she would do." I want to be faithful. But to whom do I look for the living definition of faithful?



I have a God who is nothing but faithful. I am firm on that. And yet, it still is hard to SEE faithful in an unseen God. Yes, the renewing seasons show his faithfulness. And yes, regardless of an enormous amount of rain that has fallen on our town in the last 3 days, He is faithful to not let us flood. But to see in real life a faithfulness that trancends time, I ask you to read on.



My dad is a great guy. You can read his birthday post I wrote and see exactly how I feel about him. He has always loved animals. Well, let me say, he has always loved dogs. I cannot speak for the rest of the animal population though I do know that he abhors snakes and alligators. I guess technically those are reptiles and not animals...but I digress. Dad loves dogs. And dogs...they are enamored with dad. Especially this one.



Meet Georgie. Georgie is my oldest sister's dog. She is precious. She is sweet. She loves to run. She loves to chase squirrels. She loves Dad. And the feeling is most definitely mutual.

And when I think about Georgie, I think faithful. She loves my dad, no matter how long it has been since she has seen him. They don't live in the same town. They don't even live in the same state. But when my dad walks through Georgie's door, or when Georgie walks through my dad's door, there is an instant show of unconditional love. Georgie doesn' t ask my dad why he hasn't been around. Georgie doesn't condemn my dad for his lack of time or lack of apparent interest. She just jumps up on him and begins to lick his face and wag her entire back end to show him that she loves him. It is unconditional and it is deep. And you cannot argue it when you see it. Believe me. I have seen it; many times.

And Georgie is the picture of our God. Now I am not saying God is a dog (although God is dog spelled backwards...again, I digress)...I would never say He is a dog. What I am saying is that Georgie is a living picture of God's faithfulness to us. We leave him, we stray, we lack interest, time or devotion. We ignore him. We walk out of his presence. And yet, the minute we walk back through his door and ask for forgiveness or the minute we invite him back through the door of our heart, he is there...ready to welcome us back. He wraps us up in his loving arms and holds us close. It is like we have never left. There is no condemnation. There is just love. Unconditional love.

So, no matter where you are...he is waiting for you to come back through the door. He won't lick your face, but he will welcome you home.




Blessings,
Paige

1 comment:

  1. Love this one...and yes, Georgie is very faithful!! God, too!

    ReplyDelete