Friday, March 19, 2010

Rebel Without a Cause

I am a rule breaker this year.

Yes, mom. I said a rule breaker!

Let me explain. See, in my family, basketball is like a religion (except it's not, cuz my mom and dad taught us better than that---but you get my point). My dad grew up playing basketball all the time. He dribbled the ball everywhere he went (or at least that is what he told us when we whined about practicing so much)--it was probably uphill...both ways...in the snow---and he and his buddies "broke" into the gym at night and on weekends (he said that the janitor "left a window (or door) unlocked" for them) and after all his practice and apparently alluding arrest, he ended up playing ball in college for none other than the esteemed Bobby Knight at West Point.



I do not want to hear any negative comments about Bobby Knight. While he may not be your favorite person, he knows his stuff and is true to the fundamentals of the game of basketball. And I respect that.

Anyway, dad's love for the game and the fact that one of his teammates at West Point was Mike Kryzewski, Krzywezski , ShaShefSki err Coach K, made us all basketball lovers at a very early age. We even, and I shudder as I say this, were Dook fans growing up. I can only think that it was because my parents were not active in church during that time and THAT is what caused them to make such a poor decision as to cheer for THE DEVIL. Apparently, they are currently backslidden' now because they are still cheering for them! BUT, all that to say, we learned about March Madness from the womb and have all been die-hard fans since then. It is the family way.

Except this year.

For me.

I am boycotting the Big Dance. Yeah, I said that.

AND....

I did not even fill out a bracket.

OOOOOOOOOO! Did you lose your breath? My family apparently did when they found out.

I got a range of comments from, "Wow...you're serious?" to "I am so disappointed in you."

And you know what? I am ok with that! I hear my bracket would have imploded already anyway, so I am glad I did not waste my time with it!

People keep asking me why? They know I love basketball more than almost anything. And truly, I have no explanation for it. I know you think it is because my beloved Tarheels aren't there (they are playing in the 'Not In the Tournament' Tournament) but that is really not it. I am just slightly disappointed in the game this year. And again, I have no reason.

I will tell you that I am not cheering for Dook to win it all. Or Kentucky.

Who do I want to make it to Indy?




I choose Kansas---Rock Chalk Jayhawk all the way (even though I have NO idea what that means!).

But I won't know who gets there. Cuz I'm boycotting. Remember?

Maybe my bracket-filling son will keep me posted.

Because I intend to stay a rebel without a cause!

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I must be the only person in the U.S. who doesn't follow March Madness. LOL!

    Newest follower from the Friday Follow!

    ~ Jennifer
    http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a KS Alum and I LOVE LOVE LOVE March Madness. So Rock Chalk Jayhawk to you too (even during your boycott.) My bracket is filled and I picked several great upsets. Fingers crossed for my Jayhawks.

    Happy FF Paige!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my Heels.....

    I'm kinda glad I can't watch it from here, though I have to cheer for UK - Dad's a Wildcat Alum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Canadian, so now a huge March Madness watcher, but my hubby loves it, so we do watch it together sometimes:) I am a new follower from Friday Follow and can't wait to check out your blog more. Please stop by mine and follow back, I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm a new Friday Follower! Nice to meet other bloggers!

    Visit me at www.rockindeals4you.com

    ReplyDelete