Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wishful Wednesday--High School Jobs!



Wishful Wednesday is a fun way to think about the things in our life that maybe we think could be different...hop over to Kelsey's blog to see how this all got started!

This week's topic is:
'I wish' .... I could go back and spend one day working at a job from my youth, and it would be ______!

I am pretty sure I would not like to go back to being a teenager and work these jobs again. I was a camp counselor, I worked at The Limited, I worked for a tire and auto place (don't ask), I worked in a Christian bookstore and I worked at TCBY. Just typing those jobs up has made me smile and even laugh a little to myself. None of those are the ones I would return to though.

I would want to go back to Putt-Putt and work the birthday parties and the game room. I had the esteemed privilege of working there as my very first job (other than babysitting). Originally, I was just going to work the concession stand and hand out those very expensive toys you get with the tickets you win in the games. I had a great line I had to say every night, starting at one hour before closing and repeating it every 15 minutes until we closed. I still remember it and I feel it would be cruel if I did not share it with you.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please. In approximately 45 minutes Putt Putt Golf and Games will be closing. At that time, all games will be turned off and no refunds will be given, so we ask that you please use your tokens wisely. We also ask that when you exit, you exit to the parking nearest the golf course and we thank you for joining us here at Putt-Putt (pause here--then raise your voice as you finish with): For the Fun of It!"


But then they needed someone to help with a birthday party and they asked me if I would do it. Sure...I love kids. I would love to help. I was thinking I would scoop ice cream or cut the cake or help the kids on the golf course. Oh no....those are menial tasks left for the mundane worker. They had bigger plans for me. I was going to be....................Buster the Ball! You don't know Buster the Ball? Seriously? Well, lucky for you, I found a picture of him....


I realize that is a cartoon version...but did you really think anyone would let anyone else take their picture in that costume and then post it online for the whole world to see? Yeah. Me neither! Anyway...I really did have to wear that....a huge orange golf ball that went over my head....with huge green clown like pants and enormous shoes....I could not fit through door without a good shove from behind and I had to walk like I was wearing flippers on my feet. And that is really hard to do when you are wearing a huge orange golf ball around your middle!

Do you know what the hardest part was? Not talking for the hour at the birthday party! I never actually succeeded at that one. I know golf balls aren't supposed to talk, but they also aren't supposed to be life-sized and orange! So I spoke...and got smacked on the back of my big round orange head!

I know you are jealous of my first job...aren't you?

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Not jealous at all...because I got to be Chuck E. Cheese. Kids would put their hands up your costume to figure out if a boy or girl was inside. Lovely. Did Buster smell as pleasant as Chuck E. Cheese?!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my! Haha What a fun outfit to be in! :)

    I love Putt Putt golf, I'm sure you're not a big fan after that job though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is potentially the best job I've read about so far! Thanks for the giggle! I'm glad to have stumbled on your blog and hope to visit again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are HUGE fans of Putt Putt!! This job would be the greatest teen job ever... if my hubby wasn't a golf professional and "gave" our son a job we would force him to work here!! hahaha ... :) love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This.is.hilarious.

    It sounds awful but at least you have the best "first job story" ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you believe me if I admitted to being the cow at Chick-fil-A?!?!

    ReplyDelete