Sunday, May 9, 2010

Better Late Than Never!!

Happy Mother's Day!

I want to pay tribute to my wonderful mom. She is the bomb mom! She loves her kids and her grandkids tremendously. There has never been a time when I ever doubted my mom's love (well, except for the four years of high school...but I had a disorder then...it was called, "Teenager"). Seriously, I knew my mom loved and cared about me. And my kids know now that grandma loves them unconditionally too. This is a picture of my mom with all of her grandkids. This is right before something huge struck my family.

My mom went for a yearly doctor's appointment in November that rocked us all to the core. She came home with the news that there was something on the mammogram that wasn't supposed to be there. A spot. A tiny spot. A spot the size of a pencil point. A spot that held tiny cells of cancer.

Cancer? What? Not my mom. Not my family. This is not happening. And yet it was. I worried about my mom. Was she ok? Was she flippin' out, like me? I called her...hands shaking. She answered. I held my breath. "Mom?" "Hey, honey. Thanks for calling back. I guess you got the message. My doctor is convinced we can beat this and so am I. Your dad and I are praying and trying to see just exactly what it is God wants us to learn."

Huh? I think I may have dialed the wrong number. Don't get me wrong...she has always had a strong faith in her Savior, but she is never calm and cool and collected under these kind of circumstances. She usually worries a little. But she wasn't worried. Or did not appear so on the phone.

Instantly, my mind started hitting worst case scenarios. And they were bad. My mom never wavered though. She stood strong and tall and completely dependent on her God. She was an amazing example of peace in the midst of a storm. And the storm came...but the wind did not blow her over and the rain did not send her into hiding. She stood still and let her God fight the storm for her. And you know what? He won. He always does, so we really shouldn't be surprised. She did not have to have chemo. She is done with radiation. She takes medicine for five years and gets checked regularly, but it appears she has beaten this ugly cancer thing. And I am so proud of her.

And I am proud to call her my mom.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!




post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a great Mother's Day story. Sounds like you've got yourself a great mom -- so glad to hear she has beaten this ugly thing called Cancer! :)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete