Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wishful Wednesday--Como Esta Usted?



Wishful Wednesday is a fun way to think about the things in our life that maybe we think could be different...hop over to Kelsey's blog to see how this all got started!

This week's topic is:
'I wish' .... I was fluent in another language in addition to English, and it would be ________!


I have often thought I needed to be fluent in male talk...like when Mark says "mmm-hmmm" to a question I ask while he is watching a ballgame...does he REALLY mean yes or is he pretending to pay attention and answer me? It only took me about 2 months of being married to figure this one out! So glad I did not waste the money on lessons in male-isms. And now I know that if I need to do ANYTHING, asking during a ballgame of some sort will most assuredly get me a yes!

I live in an area though that has a very high population of Spanish speaking people. I truly could be a whole lot more helpful and effective if I could speak Spanish. Now, I took Spanish in high school AND in college. I can ask a child in my class if they need to go to the bathroom but if they don't answer with "Si`" or "No", I am lost! I know that is sad. And I apologize mom and dad. You sent me to a private school thinking I was getting the best education and they did not even teach me how to understand people who speak Spanish. I think you should try to get your money back!

One time, I told the Spanish speaking teacher at my school (who happened to be overwhelmed by the number of phone calls she had to make) that I thought I could handle calling one of my students' parents and telling them they need to come pick him up because he was sick. She was so grateful. And I was so naive!

I dialed that number with confidence. And I stated who I was, where I was calling from and then I told them that they needed to come pick up their child....only that is not what I really said to them. What I actually told them was who I was, where I was calling from and that they needed to come WASH their child. Slightly different! But, the good news is, that they came anyway! I have also said some very inappropriate things thinking I was saying something nice but I have blocked the details of those from my mind.

What about you....what language would you benefit from knowing?

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Too funny about washing the child. I would like to freshen up on my Spanish. It's been way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was good with Spanish while I was in Spanish class back in high school, but now I do good to say good morning! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAH, Aren't we all so naive when it comes down to attempting to communicate in the language outside of the school learning walls .... I think submerging yourself in the language would be the best way to learn it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete