Friday, June 4, 2010

Show Us Your Life--Random Acts of Kindness

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

I love Kelly Stamps' blog. And I have been reading it for awhile. Her Show Us Your Life posts are always fun and very informative. Today's is no different and I can't wait to see what ideas everyone gives me!

A random act of kindness, according to Wikipedia, is "a selfless act performed by a person or persons wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual. There will generally be no reason other than to make people smile, or be happier. Either spontaneous or planned in advance, random acts of kindness are encouraged by various communities."

I am a big, BIG fan of random acts of kindness. I love them because they are SO much fun to take part in and so much fun to watch happen. And I have found that they usually are an answer to prayer that sometimes the person who receives the random act doesn't even know they have/need.

The other night, I was out with my family, and there was a sweet older couple eating a few tables away. The man got up to get something and had a cane he was walking with (only he carried it more than he used it for walking...it was precious to watch)...he could not manage the cane and the other stuff he was carrying and I just jumped up to help spontaneously. The smile on his face was priceless. And the lesson my family learned was even more heart-warming. I sat back down and my son looked at me and said, "Wow, mom, that was really kind of you." Caroline wanted to know if I knew that man... :) and Mark said he teared up a little when he saw it. :) A small thing...but a big message.

So, I started compiling the things we could do as a family to randomly help those around us...
  • sending notes/pictures to people who are not able to get out much (from church or friends who are sick, etc.)
  • tell people more how much we appreciate them and WHY we appreciate them.
  • give a larger than normal tip to a waitress/waiter regardless of the service and leave them a note with the tip telling them you appreciate them.
  • give compliments
  • smile
  • say thank you
  • make someone's favorite meal and take it to them just because
  • fill a basket with magazines, snacks, water, quarters for the machines and take it up to a family waiting at the hospital
  • volunteer to babysit for a new mom and dad so they can go have some quiet time together
  • make generic gift bags to have on hand to give to someone who stops by to visit or take to someone who is having a bad day
  • mow the neighbor's yard
  • take the newspaper to the neighbor's front door instead of leaving it on the driveway
  • telling the postman/UPS guy/FedEx guy thank you
  • take your hairdresser a snack/treat on the day of your appointment
  • pay for the order behind you in the drive-thru
  • thank a soldier, policeman, fire fighter--their job is tough beyond belief and often goes unnoticed or is taken for granted
  • share your umbrella on a rainy day
  • speak kindly
I wish we all lived this out everyday (I am at the top of that list)--imagine what our world could be like if we stuck to this mindset.

I just finished a school year...as a teacher I am always looking for ways to teach my students how to be the best from the inside out...and I think I will incorporate Random Acts of Kindness into my classroom next year. Maybe we will do one a month as a class....

Thanks for the inspiration Kelly...now I am going to get need some ideas from yall! So leave me a comment with something we can do!

And...(((((hugs))))) and SMILES to you....have an amazing day!!!!!!!!!!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Hello. I am your newest follower via Friday-Follow. I hope you will come follow me to. Happy Friday
    http://traci66.blogspot.com
    I also do giveaways they are on my right sidebar.I will be posting more next week and in July I am having a Ozzy's 6th Birthday Bash with lots of giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great list! I am definitely trying to help my boys learn kindness and compassion... so far it hasn't come very naturally to them =)

    Newest follower, love the blog!!

    Lily
    http://bilslandfamily.blogspot.com/2010/06/few-good-men.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I came over from Kelly's Korner. All your ideas sound great! :) And I love that you used the Wikipedia definition because I did too! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some random acts of kindness to return after this evening. I took my daughter to a special event at the zoo for disabled children. Everything was free & there were a ton of volunteers all doing things to try and make it a wonderful night for the kids. My little girl LOVED it & giggled all the way home.

    I am now following your nifty blog, from Friday-Follow :)
    http://blommi.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from another teacher! I do RAoKs with my class - always great fun!

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great lesson you showed your children.

    I wouldn't be surprise if it lights a spark in them.

    ReplyDelete