Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lessons in a Dream

I had a strange dream the other night. This is what I remember of it.

It was the middle of the night (of course). The house started shaking. Pictures were crashing to the floor, furniture was falling over and I heard screaming in the distance. My first thought was earthquake--but I live in Georgia (there was that time though when we had an earthquake in GA about 7 years ago...)...anyway, I get up and look out the window. The houses across the street from me are falling into a huge sinkhole. They are disappearing as if some gargantuan monster is eating them for a bedtime snack. (you got the picture, right?). I am scared--to my core. But we grab the kids and run to the basement...out the back door and through the woods...away from the sinkhole.

I woke up terrified.

I pondered the dream and after getting over the sheer terror of it all, I kinda forgot about it. I started thinking about it again though after church. Our pastor talked about getting more of Christ in 2011 and giving more of myself to Christ in 2011. The dream came back to me.

I thought about that sinkhole. It is like life all around me. There are so many distractions that keep me from focusing on Christ. They suck me in and destroy everything I have tried to build and I can't get out of it no matter how hard I try. But God is standing at the top of that sinkhole, arm outstretched, waiting for me to grab His hand so He can pull me to safety. Do I reach out and take it? Or do I try to selfishly figure out my own way out?

In 2011, I want to trust Him more and focus on the world less.

What about you?

post signature

2 comments:

  1. reach for him, that's what i hope to do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen little sister.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete