Friday, January 7, 2011

Mean

We are having a huge, amazing conference at our church at the end of this month. It is called THIRST and we are believing that it is going to rock our socks off. Our pastor showed us on Sunday how the year has been mapped out for God to do amazing things in our church if we are open and willing.

Hearts are already changing. God is working to prepare us for Thirst.

And wouldn't you know it...when God wants big things to happen the enemy begins to attack. And so he has. The first part of John 10:10 says that he "comes to steal and kill and destroy." He plays dirty. He steals hope, kills joy and destroys dreams. He is mean. The meanest of mean.

What does mean, well, uhm, mean?

The Definition of Mean: Cruel, spiteful or malicious
Cruel: causing or inflicting pain with pity
Spiteful: vindictive
Malicious: motivated by wrongful, vicious, or mischievous purposes

I always used that word nonchalantly. Until I looked it up and broke it apart. Mean is awful. Mean is hurtful down to the core. Mean can break your heart.

But Mean has been defeated. Mean has already lost the battle.

You see the first part of John 10:10 may describe that mean thief, but the second part? Oh the second part! It says, "...I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." When Jesus came and took our place on a cruel cross, He took away the power from Mean. He has given us life abundantly and as a bonus, He has given us joy and grace and mercy.

So, now, when Mean starts to rear his ugly head, I remember that I am His child and He is all about protecting me. He reminds me, "...greater is He who is in you, than he who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

So, take a hike Mean...I am too busy living abundantly to be bothered by you.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder Paige! I, all too often, allow "Mean" to steal my joy. I'm excited to see how God is going to use Thirst in our personal lives, as well as the life of our church, our community, & our state. Expecting Him to show up & do great things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live abundantly, girl!! So excited to see what the Lord does in your life (and in all of ours) this year!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written of course! I love you blog...I found it a long time ago from Pleated Poppy's WIWW. I enjoy reading your insightful posts and Christian views. I just wanted to let you know I awarded your blog the STYLISH BLOG AWARD over on my blog!!

    Ashley
    www.thetremainestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete