Friday, April 1, 2011

Same Lesson, Different Day

So, remember this post from Saturday?

Well, my sister let me vent to her after everything that happened last week. She gave me sound advice to definitely take duct tape with me to work (kidding...I think...maybe she did). I stewed in my anger and self-pity a little over the weekend (ok, a lot) and then my sister sent me this from her small group meeting.

She said:
Laughed out loud when I read these words tonight...stinks that they are in the Bible. Made me think of me, primarily, but also of your current situation....

22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the
trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
(2Timothy 2:22-26)


I have to say I laughed out loud too...and I thought...wow...you couldn't have shown me that two weeks ago?!?!?!? But, in all reality, I probably would not have paid attention to it because it did not apply to me at that time.

BUT, I did get to apply it to my life this week when I could have engaged in a "stupid argument" but chose to stay quiet instead. God granted me the blessing of being able to walk away with my head held high and my mouth shut tight. Sure, I was mad several times during this conversation and I so wanted to say things back to the person accusing me of the most ridiculous things, but I did not. I remained calm (proof that God truly was in charge of this) and when it was over, I had no behavior to apologize for or words to take back (I got this advice from my sweet friend who is a pastor's wife and has learned over the years that the less you speak, the less you have to apologize). :) It worked well.

Staying quiet has its advantages. I plan on incorporating it more into my loud, talkative life.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. That's hard to do, so well done! ;)

    Another thing to think about... if this person continually tears you down, instead of lifting you up? It's totally okay to love them from a distance. No, you don't have to be mean back, but you certainly don't have to take the abuse. You can still love them, but do it from a distance so you can move forward with everything He has in store for you.

    I was watching Joel Osteen one afternoon where he explained this perfectly and it has helped me a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if I could stay quiet

    ReplyDelete