Friday, July 1, 2011

A Cup of Contentment

We live in a fast paced world.

Everyone is on the go, demanding results immediately and complaining if their precious time is wasted "waiting".

And by everyone, I mean me.

I have noticed in my daily life how I want things done NOW. I don't want to wait, I don't want it hanging over my head. I want to check it off my make believe list I made and move on to the next thing that stresses me out. Whew. What a way to live life, huh?

This lack of patience in myself came blaring into my eyesight this week at my mom and dad's. They have a Keurig coffee pot...the one that makes one cup at a time...see below if still confused....

I don't have one of these at my house. I have to make a whole pot of coffee if I want a cup. If I make a whole pot, I have to WAIT on a whole pot. Insert trouble with patience and it is a losing battle for me. So imagine how happy I was when I got here knowing I could have a cup of coffee whenever I wanted one!

You know what I noticed? I quickly, very quickly, became irritated with the Keurig when I had to wait for it to get ready after it turned itself off. Really, Paige? It did not take long for my new normal to produce the same impatient results.

Know what that tells me? I have a problem. I cannot even find the joy in the little things in life. Maybe that is too big of a crime to accuse myself of...I do find much joy in watching my kids play with cousins, hearing them laugh, getting to curl up and watch a movie with my mom (while we drink coffee :) ), going on walks with my dad REALLY early in the morning...

But I also see that I am a "results now" person. I want instant gratification. I could blame this one on the society in which I live, but if I am going to be honest, it really is an issue with not being content with what I have.

Or going bigger, not being content with all that the Lord has blessed me with.

Ouch! But so true...

I am praying as I spend time here at the beach that I will remember, and be thankful for, all of the wonderful people and things I have in my life.

As the Fourth of July gets closer, it is not lost on me the sacrifices that many made to give me the freedoms I often take for granted. I want to not only remember that, but honor that by not being selfish, self serving or arrogant in what I think I might deserve.

Oh, to be content in Jesus, no matter how long I have to wait for my coffee to brew. Fill my cup Lord with all that reflects and honors you.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. The bridges house has one of those too so you can come back now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through The Pleated Poppy! I bought my husband a Kureig for Christmas and I think I may use it more then he does : )

    I can totally relate to the impatience with it and I have to laugh at myself...I want coffee at the speed of light! How spoiled : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I'll teach them not to buy their Keurig at Costco....) Loved this post. We are all too impatient. And I love that God is so patient...and works in a way that is so counter to our desires sometimes. His wisdom is perfect.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete