Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Power of Faith

Read this on Max Lucado's twitter feed yesterday:

"You regularly trust power U cannot see to do a work U cannot accomplish. Jesus invites U to do the same with him."

At first I was not sure what he was talking about...and then I realized...power...like power company. I flip a switch and expect a light to come on or my disposal to work. Got it Max...(I love Max, by the way...LOVE).

I started thinking about that statement...I do regularly trust our electric company to have done their job in providing power to my house. I don't check in each morning with them to see if we are good to go. In fact, I set my alarm to wake me up in the morning--all the while expecting my power to last through the night so my alarm is charged enough to go off and wake me up. In short (which, ironically, was NOT short at all)...I have faith that my electric company will do their job so I can get up and do mine.

I do have something to do with my power though. I asked the power company to come to my house and turn on my power. I pay my bill each month in order to keep my power on. Aaannnnddd, that's it.

Other than that, I have faith that I will have power at my house (even through storms, high winds, ice and freak car accidents that knock down power lines).

Faith.

Why is it that I can have faith in a company to keep my power on and yet I falter in my faith in all that my powerful God can do for me?

I started out in my relationship by asking God to come into my life and be my Savior (just like I had to invite the power company over to turn on my power) and then I spend time with Him (pay my bill). And then, all that is left is faith.

I think some of my problem is that I do not spend as much time with Him as I should. A direct consequence is that my faith is not rock solid. But it can be. And it should be. Because the creator of the universe lives inside me and the power that rose Christ from the dead is very much alive in me.

I have only barely begun to tap into the resource that is God's love in me...but I have faith that He is going to show me just how big and awesome He is...


Going deeper,

post signature

3 comments:

  1. praying for a surge of power through your soul, especially today, as you meet the kids and crazy families.
    love you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am in a similar place - learning to really and truly have faith. we will be reminded of the need for it our whole lives, and we will reap the joys of it our whole lives too.

    it is amazing what it can do! i am excited for your journey!

    good luck back to school!

    ReplyDelete