Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Right in the Kisser

I got kicked in the teeth yesterday by God.

Not literally, of course.

I had a bad day. My fellow third grade teachers all had bad days. I felt like maybe something was in the air wreaking havoc on us all.

I came home from work, cooked dinner, helped with homework and while I was waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven (I really did "make" chocolate chip cookies) I started to get teary eyed. I had just told my husband about my day and voicing it seemed to drain what little energy I had left and when I get like that, I cry. I told him I was ready to just crawl into bed for the night (at 7pm).

He was half joking but half not when he said, "Did you have your quiet time today?"

Uhmmm....no. Why? Is it obvious? :)

He left for the grocery store (that is a good man who goes to the grocery store at 7pm on a Monday night...course he was probably afraid that if I went I would buy the store out of everything sugary and sweet since everyone knows grocery shopping while sad compels one to buy lots of chocolate!). Anyway, I wandered back to my room, put on my pajamas and grabbed my Bible and my Jesus Calling book.

Opening the Jesus Calling book was when I experienced the kick!

I don't usually quote the whole devotion, but today I am going to.

"Demonstrate your trust in Me by sitting quietly in My Presence. Put aside all that is waiting to be done, and refuse to worry about anything. This sacred time together strengthens you and prepares you to face whatever the day will bring. By waiting with Me before you begin the day's activities, you proclaim the reality of My living Presence. This act of faith--waiting before working--is noted in the spirit world, where your demonstration of trust weakens principalities and powers of darkness.

The most effective way to resist evil is to draw near to Me. When you need to take action, I will guide you clearly through my Spirit and My Word. The world is so complex and overstimulating that you can easily lose your sense of direction. Doing countless unnecessary activities will dissipate your sense of direction. As you look to Me for guidance, I enable you to do less but accomplish more."

Yeah, that would have been good to know in the morning. You know, when I usually have my quiet time. Instead, I started my day without Him and it was horrible! It was worse than horrible, it was miserably horrible.

At least I know it wasn't something "in the air"---more like what wasn't in my heart. Today I am going to follow the advice of Proverbs 16:3...

"Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established."

Praying for you today...be still this morning before the busyness of the day sets in and just remember that He is the God who orchestrated this whole day before it has even begun.

Blessings to you,

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I just ordered Jesus Calling - the devotionals for kids!!! I had never heard of it before, but it got great reviews on Amazon and I thought it would be a wonderful way to start the day with the kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Paige. Isn't great how are husbands all know when we aren't in the word! What a great a great verse to focus on!

    xoxox,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete