Monday, August 15, 2011

The Squirrel Dilemma

I was driving to pick up my children the other day from my wonderful babysitter/friend/adopted little sister "KK" when I saw the most horrible thing. Well, OK, it wasn't the most horrible thing but it was hard to watch.

I saw a squirrel dart out from the side of the road into lots of traffic. He skirted under the cars and amazingly made it to the other side. I kinda laughed at how "lucky" he had been. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw more movement...I glanced and there was another squirrel...this one not as confident in his street crossing skills. He darted...but not quickly...he had sort of a stutter step to his dart...but out he went into traffic. Then, all of a sudden, it was like he changed his mind and he turned to go back to the safety of the side of the road. I couldn't see what had happened until I passed the car he had been under and looked in my rearview mirror.

He was laying on the road...flat as a flitter.

I thought to myself, dude, your hesitation killed you. You should have just gone for it.

"Isn't that what you do, Paige? I ask you to do something a little out of your comfort zone and you hesitate and miss the moment?"

Ouch.

My missed moments with God don't necessarily leave me squashed on the pavement but it does have a lasting effect on my relationship with God, how big my faith is (or can be) and what He can do through me. When I stutter step instead of running right beside Him, I say to Him---"Hold up...not sure I really want to go there...it might be uncomfortable...it might take more than I have in me..."

When the truth is, I have the power of Christ's resurrection living in me...there is nothing I can't do...so my hesitation is really a blaring statement to how little I trust my God to take me through the dark, uncomfortable places.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be squashed on the road of life due to my lack of faith and the fear of the unknown. I want to grab hold of the hem of Jesus' garment and go wherever He decides to take me.

He promises He is big enough. He promises to provide all we need. He promises a promised land...and He keeps His promises.

You coming with me, or are you going to hesitate on the side road of life and miss the shower of blessings He has for you?

Let's go!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. i am totally on board.

    what a cool lesson. i hesitate a lot too and have never looked at it as a lack of trust, that is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Hard lessons on trust for us this summer, but I see the beauty in going for it..instead of hesitating. Love you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete