Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How's your Fellowship?

We had a GREAT sermon on Sunday about relationship vs. fellowship.

We have fellowship time at church, meaning we hang out with each other, typically with people we have a relationship with, talking and eating (always eating...I thought when I looked up fellowship in the dictionary I would see a covered dish beside it). To me, you fellowship, you build relationships.

I was wrong though.

A relationship is a connection between people. For example, church members have a relationship because they go to the same church. Their relationship is based on where they worship. Family members have a relationship...whether they want to admit or not...

But a relationship does not mean there is fellowship.

Fellowship is a friendly relationship; companionship. I love how in this definition, relationship is used. Because you can't have fellowship without relationship. Take the groups mentioned above. Church members. Think about the people in your church. Do you have a friendly relationship with ALL the church members? Probably not. You have a relationship with them, but not fellowship. Then there are those that you are close to--you would say they are your companions (OK...not really, because who uses the word companion? But you get my point.) It is the same in families. I have a relationship with all the members of my family, but the distant members I do not have fellowship with.

I am not saying any of this to make anyone feel bad. Personally, I do not think that you can have fellowship with everyone you have a relationship with.

There is one person though that you need to make sure you have fellowship with each and every day.

Jesus.

Before you can have fellowship with Jesus, you have to have a relationship with Him. If you don't , and you would like to know how to do that, please don't hesitate to contact me.

If you have that relationship then my question to you, just as my pastor's question was to us on Sunday, is: Are you closer today(fellowship) to God than you were on the day you came into relationship with Him?

This question made me think. I am not really good at maintaining fellowship with people. I am not proud of that fact, but I do realize that about myself. I take the time to get to know people, to spend time with them, to open myself up to them...and then, before I even realize I have done it, I break that fellowship. I think I have figured out that they get too close, know too much--something like that and it scares me. So, before they can hurt me, I withdraw.

As I was pondering that on Sunday, God gently said to me, "Isn't that what you do with me, Paige? You let me in and when things get sensitive and sometimes hard, you push me back and turn away from me. You don't continue in our fellowship, but why? There is no reason to try to hide from me, because you cannot go anywhere where I can't see you or know your thoughts, your actions or your heart. Keep the fellowship with me, Paige. It is much sweeter that way."

And He is right. Unfortunately, I always think I can figure my way out of something better on my own. Or, maybe I don't like what He has told me to do so I turn away.

But my soul longs for that fellowship--that companionship. Why? Because He is the only one who can fill the void in my soul. He knows exactly what I need, when I need it and how best to provide it for me. My soul is at rest when I walk closely with Him. And my steps are shaky without His guidance.

It's a no-brainer, really.

So, how is your fellowship with the One who loves you the most? Today, take the step to make it deeper and stronger than it was yesterday.

Blessings to you all,

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that from so close to the beginning (Genesis 2), God saw man's need for fellowship.

    That has been a huge turning point for me in my relationship with the Lord and with dear safe friends.

    ReplyDelete