Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life

Life.

Sometimes life is good.

Sometimes life gets in the way.

Sometimes life is cut too short.

Today life is hard.

As many of you know, I am a third grade teacher in an elementary school. My job brings me into contact with almost of all of the kids in our school so much so that we feel like one big family.

And two little boys in our family are losing their dad very soon.

He has always been a very involved dad, very concerned with his children's education and very encouraging. He got sick last year and had to have a liver transplant. He went through the surgery ok and he was back home and back at school at the start of this school year.

Then something went wrong...we are really not sure what happened. He went back to the hospital, seemed that his body was rejecting the liver. But then it wasn't. Yet he was still sick and there was no explanation. He was in and out surgery. They found something, thought they fixed it and then he was sick again. Round and round...until this week. They thought there was an intestinal blockage and so one more surgery. Then they discovered he was septic. And time was against them.

We were all praying for a miracle.

Yesterday, we had not heard much new news. We did know that the next 24-48 hours were critical. Then, I was sitting at my desk in the afternoon and I heard the all call out on the playground for one of the boys who was being checked out. My heart sank. I just knew in my heart that all was not good.

I went to find someone who would know...and I heard that they were taking the boys to the hospital (they have not been up to this point) because their dad has only hours to live.

I cannot even believe it. I taught one of the boys last year. They are a precious family. And now they have to say goodbye to their father.

Times like this always make me ask "Why Lord?" I know better than to ask that question. I know God owes me no explanation but I am so confused. And I know He knows the answers.

Then He gently reminds me that my home is not here. My heart will always question because this world does not make sense to it. So I cling to the One I know has the answers and I pray for a sweet, sweet family who has to send their loved one on to stand in the presence of my great God. I know he will be out of pain and I know that he will be whole again, but wow how do you explain that to a 9 year old, 6 year old, 4 year old and 8 month old?

Please join me in praying for this family.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paige,

    oh my. i am so very sorry to read of this today. i am in tears and all i can say is that i will pray for this family. i'm so so sorry for them. life is so very difficult to understand sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. may God be present with this family. use this for his big Glory {i know he will, he always does}. may he be their comfort, truth, peace, and hope. may he be mom's lover. may he be father to the boys, tangible father. he does this {i know first hand}. all in jesus, only in jesus, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will most certainly pray. So, so sad. I'm glad you know who to lean into for comfort, I pray the Comforter's presence will be felt by the grieving family at this time.

    ReplyDelete