Thursday, January 19, 2012

If There Was Any Doubt

Just in case you wondered if God really is in the details of your life, let me give you some concrete proof that He is.

I wrote THIS post on Tuesday. And in it, I talked about how much He is in the smallest details of our lives.

He showed me again today, this morning, that it was no fluke on Tuesday (I wasn't doubting that it was true, but He knew I would the encouragement this morning).

See, on Tuesday, God showed me two areas I needed some work on in my life. The first is my speech and the second my attitude. Whew. I don't know about you but those two areas can kill me. I am a talker---always have been---and I think because I am so comfortable with the sound of my own voice and the words that I know (and these are NOT good things), I use them whenever I feel the need to share how I feel. Not always great.

Even yesterday, in my What I Wore Wednesday posting, He reminded me of what I need to do. How you ask? Well, I clicked on a link on Lindsey's site that I had never clicked on before and there, at the top of this girl's WIWW post was this verse: "Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." Details, people, details!

The second problem is that I cannot hide how I feel about anything. I may try but my friends tell me often that it is "written all over my face" how I REALLY feel about something. Which means, when my attitude is sour, everyone can tell. That is good when you are talking about trying to change a rotten attitude...can't hide it from those who would keep you accountable. But it is bad because, well, I can't hide it! :)

God wanting me to change both at once has felt like a cruel joke at times in the last few days. You know...I CAN keep my mouth shut, bite my tongue, etc. and therefore fulfill my duties in reforming my speech (sort of ;) ). But, keeping my mouth shut AND having a good attitude about/towards whom I am choosing not to lash out at has proven nearly impossible. I say nearly impossible because "Nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

Anyway, I actually haven't done great keeping my mouth shut on one particular topic. No need to go into detail...I know it is a problem for me, and I was feeling kinda bad about how quickly I had failed at the task God had given me.

Then I opened up my Jesus Calling book this morning and the first three words were "SEEK MY FACE" (and yes, they were in all caps in the book). I smiled...I think I may have even laughed out loud. Those were the very words our guest speaker had used when he talked about changing how we pray from seeking His hand to seeking His face. The same scripture reference was there too...Jeremiah 29:13, Psalm 27:8. Details, y'all!

If you are still a doubter about the details, think of it this way---God knew what Sarah Young would write in Jesus Calling (published in 2004) and He knew exactly what would be placed on January 19th in the book. He knew where I would be on Sunday night, the 15th of January, 2012 and He knew who would be speaking (and let me say, my sweet pastor does not give up his pulpit to just anyone, so the fact that there was a guest speaker is, in and of itself, almost a miracle). He knew what that speaker would say and what scripture references he would use. He knew also what He would place on my heart the next day to work on in my life. (Unfortunately) He also knew I would not have a stellar first two days of my reforming my speech/attitude.

So, what did He do? He allowed me to read that devotion and see those same verses and remind me that while I may have failed in some areas of my life, today is a new day and with it comes His mercy and grace. He doesn't expect me to be perfect, but he also doesn't want me to give up. And He showed me just how much He loves me with that sweet reminder!

Don't even try to convince me He is not in the details!!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment