Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Lesson in Timing

Being a teacher, I constantly tell my students that they will never quit learning. This is usually met with many moans and groans because at the ripe old age of nine they are so ready for summer to be here--where they think they don't learn anything.

I have to tell them that all of their learning does not and should not happen only at school...but they will learn for the rest of their lives. I usually add that some may want to go ahead and learn those manners that I have desperately been trying to teach them NOW just to save some heartache later....but they don't believe me. Ya' know---cuz they are SOOOO much smarter than me!

Anyway, Tuesday I was feeling sluggish, tired, exhausted, worn out, dead-dog bleh! I was talking to a fellow teacher who said she felt the same way. We both lamented the fact that we went to bed earlier than ever (old, I know) and that it wasn't that I was waking up in the middle of the night and not able to go back to sleep...we just weren't RESTING is what we came up with. We had so much on our plates and so we couldn't relax.

I walked away from that conversation feeling better that at least it wasn't just me (misery likes company, right? HA).

I should probably insert here that I totally skipped my quiet time Tuesday. TOTALLY. I did not even try to make it up later in the day. TOTAL SLACKER! I own it. I am not proud of it, but it is what it is.

So Wednesday, I got up early to work out and have my quiet time before I got ready for school. I read in my Jesus Calling book for today and it was great. It talked about how He is there to help me through all of my problems and even if I have to utter "Help me Jesus" one hundred times in a day--do it! And He will be there to help! I thanked Him, thinking about how I had felt Tuesday and how I was feeling already so early that morning.

I don't usually look back at past days in Jesus Calling, even if I miss them. I don't know why...just something I don't do! But I looked at Tuesdays...and this is what I read:

"Come to me for rest and refreshment. The journey has been too much for you, and you are bone-weary. Do not be ashamed of your exhaustion. Instead, see it as an opportunity for Me to take charge of your life."

I got chills!

And that is just the first paragraph. He knew how I would feel Tuesday and He had already provided an encouraging word for me. But I chose not to hang out with Him--I chose to sleep a little more instead and therefore missed His blessing.

He is an ON TIME God---He chooses all of the time to bless us--but we have to walk with Him and hang out with Him in order to receive the blessing. He is an on-time God, but I was not an on time child. I missed what He had for me Tuesday. He was gracious enough to share it with me the next day, but how might that have changed my day on Tuesday? I will never know.

Trust Him, trust His timing and then be faithful to spend time with Him so you don't miss out like I did.

It's all about being in the right place at the right time!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment