Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lessons from Summer

I have only been out of school for one week...One week with no commitments.  Well, except for getting my kids to all of their various appointments, camps, play dates, etc....

And I have learned one thing: Schedule is key.

During the school year, I run a pretty tight ship (I say "pretty tight" because no one runs a tight ship like my sister Anonymous!) and we follow a schedule in order to not have days and days of melt downs.  I am not nearly as strict in the summer, mainly because being strict is exhausting to me.  Full out, totally exhausting.  But, we need a schedule.  Maybe my kids don't.  They enjoy sleeping in...but me...I need my schedule. 

I need to get up earlier than I have been and make sure I am not wasting my day (or rather, my morning, away). 

"Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well." Ecclesiastes 11:6

I can see how this verse fits into my life when I sleep too much, grumble too much, plan too many activities for one sane person to fit into a day and pray a lot less.  This may be summer vacation (which I welcome warmly) but that does not mean my responsibilities as daughter of the King are on vacation too.  If anything, He should expect more from me throughout the day because I am not working.   I don't want to have idle hands (or feet) because I want to honor my Father as I move through my summer...

So one week into my summer, I am going to dedicate the rest of it to Him and to His glory.  Join me?





post signature

2 comments: