Wednesday, March 13, 2013

He Would Have Been 17...

A friend of mine recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy who required  several surgeries, one being open heart surgery.  This picture was posted on Facebook and the memories just came flooding back to me. 



It was nine weeks before my wedding.

The first grandchild was due.  I was not the mom, just to go ahead and clear up that question for you.  His mom is my sister Leigh Ann.  My oldest sister.   The silent strong one.

We were so excited for Mikey.  We anticipated his arrival with many present buying trips.  We could hardly contain our excitement.

At my sister's 20 week appointment the doctor's discovered that Mikey's heart had not formed correctly.  He would need open heart surgery and a heart transplant.

He was born on March 13th, 1996.  And he was perfect.  He was beautiful.  He went right into open heart surgery and a short 12 hours after surgery, he went into cardiac arrest.  He was placed on life support.

He had his own cubicle in the NICU in Philadelphia's Children's Hospital.

I went to visit him.  I was all alone in the NICU with my nephew Mikey and I was talking to him.  I don't remember all the details of what I was saying, I just know I was talking (if you know me, that isn't really a stretch).  Eventually, Mikey's dad, my brother in law Mike, came into the room.  At the time he entered the room, Mikey was looking in my direction.  I believe, because of meds, nothing else on Mikey really moved except his eyes and at this point he was focused on me.  Mike walked around to other side of Mikey's bed and reached in and took his hand.

Then he said, "Hey little buddy."

Immediately, Mikey's eyes darted to his daddy.  No matter what I said or did, Mikey never quit looking at his daddy.  He recognized that voice.  He trusted that voice.  No matter what, he was not breaking contact with that voice.  It was his daddy. 

Mikey was wise in his young little life.  He knew where his focus should be.  On his father.  And today, he reminds me that no matter what happens in life, it is where our focus should be.  On our Father.  When we focus on God's voice, we can block out the useless chatter all around us in this fallen world.  When we focus on God's voice, we find a peace and comfort that cannot be explained.  When we focus on God's voice, we find strength to make it through even the toughest times.

Mikey only lived on this earth for 15 days.  He has spent the last 17 years with an up close and personal view of his Heavenly Father.  He has basked in light of His glory.  He has been made new.

We still miss him.  And today we wish he was here to celebrate his birthday.  He has two great little brothers and an amazing little sister!


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. 
He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. 
Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit. 
Psalm 147:3-5

Happy Birthday Mikey! We love you!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Mikey! I've heard you mention Mikey before but never knew his story. Very powerful & very moving! Thank you for the reminder to focus on the Lord in all things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much for the reminder we all need to listen intently to our Father's voice and to never lose sight of His gaze! I love Leigh Ann dearly and know how moved she is by your breathtaking tribute of love to Mikey and to a Father's love! How beautiful! How touching! How tender! How true! Crying.

    ReplyDelete